Minestrone originated in Italy, and the thick vegetable is often made with pasta and rice. Other traditional ingredients include onions, beans, carrots, celery, and onions. There is actually no set recipe as it's traditionally made from whatever vegetables are in season. The earliest iteration of minestrone soup actually dates back to the expansion of the Latin tribes into what became the Roman Republic and then the Roman Empire, when the local diet was vegetarian by necessity.
Minestrone soup is quite healthy and low in fat. This vegetarian crock pot minestrone soup recipe has no oil, so it is virtually fat-free as well as low in calories. You can also add extra veggies, such as sweet corn (a favorite!), green peas or even some pre-soaked or canned beans.
More vegetarian soup recipes
More vegetarian recipes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 zucchinis, chopped
- 2 yellow crookneck squash, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups macaroni pasta
- Combine all ingredients except pasta in a crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Add the pasta and cook on high for 20-30 minutes, or until pasta is done cooking.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
Nutritional data (from Calorie Count):
Calories per serving: 168, Calories from Fat: 16, Total Fat: 1.8g, 3% Daily Value
Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 558mg, Total Carbohydrates: 30.5g, Dietary Fiber: 5.2g, Protein: 9.3g
Vitamin A: 128%, Vitamin C: 69%, Calcium: 7%, Iron: 12%.
More Easy Vegetarian Crock Pot Recipes:
- Vegetarian Crock Pot Chili
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Split Pea Soup
- Indian Vegetable Curry
- Crock Pot Lentil Soup
- Quick Crock Pot Apple Cobbler
- Sweet Pineapple Baked Beans
- Easy Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole
- Hot and Spicy Artichoke Dip
- Easy Crock Pot Potatoes with Cheese
- Crock Pot Spinach Casserole
- Easy Cheesy Bean Dip