This super simple four ingredient crockpot recipe for apricot chicken is so delicious and flavorful. The combination of mild chicken, onion, spicy salad dressing, and sweet apricot preserves is just wonderful. Serve the chicken and sauce over hot cooked rice, pasta, or couscous.
This recipe calls for frozen chicken breasts, although food safety experts say that you should not cook frozen meat in the slow cooker. If anyone in your family is in a high-risk group (elderly, small child, pregnant, compromised immune system), use thawed breasts, and cook for just 4 to 6 hours until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Always check the final temperature of chicken with a reliable food thermometer. It should be at least 160 F.
This warming and comforting recipe is very flavorful, and it's so simple to make. Serve this easy recipe with a green salad tossed with sliced mushrooms and avocados and some toasted garlic bread or crisp bread sticks. Enjoy it all winter long.
- 6 frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts (not thawed)
- 1 package dry onion soup mix or homemade onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup Russian or French salad dressing
- 1 cup apricot preserves or jam
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or fresh lemon or lime juice, if preferred)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves or basil leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a 4-quart slow cooker, arrange the frozen chicken pieces. Wash your hands well with soap and water after touching the raw meat.
- Mix the dry onion soup mix, Russian or French salad dressing, apricot preserves or jam, apple cider vinegar, dried thyme, and pepper in a medium bowl and stir well with a wire whisk to combine. Pour this mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked to 160 F on a meat thermometer and is tender when pierced with a fork.
- If you like, you can thicken the mixture before serving. To thicken, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water or chicken stock in a small bowl and mix with a wire whisk until smooth. Add this mixture to the crockpot and stir; turn the appliance to high for 10 to 15 minutes or until the sauce is thickened.
- Serve the chicken and sauce with hot cooked rice or pasta.