This crock pot beef goulash is a classic combination of beef and paprika, with the addition of tomato paste, sour cream, and some flour for thickening the liquids.
There are many variations on a classic Hungarian goulash, but most are made with the addition of paprika. Tomatoes or tomato paste are relatively modern additions.
For a goulash with vegetables and some other ingredient ideas, see the tips and variations.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat or lean chuck steak (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 small cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/2 cup water or beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water or beef stock
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- hot cooked buttered noodles
- Garnish: poppy seeds
Place the beef in slow cooker with the chopped onion and garlic. Sprinkle the beef mixture with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
In a bowl, combine the 1/2 cup of stock or water, tomato paste, and paprika; stir or whisk to blend. Pour over beef mixture.
Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours.
Combine flour, water, and sour cream; stir into meat mixture. Cook, uncovered, on HIGH for about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Serve with buttered noodles. If desired, toss the noodles with poppy seeds.
Tips and Variations
- Add 1/2 cup of diced carrots to the beef mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup of sliced celer to the beef mixture.
- Add 1/4 cup of diced bell pepper to the beef mixture.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of caraway seeds and 1 bay leaf.
- Omit the sour cream, if desired.
You Might Also Like