This easy recipe for crockpot buffalo chicken and rice uses the flavors of spicy chicken wings in a flavorful, one-dish recipe. And it's made in the slow cooker, so you can enjoy doing other things while your dinner cooks.
If you like your food spicy, you can increase the amount of hot sauce used in this recipe. Or you can add things like minced jalapeño or habanero peppers, or sprinkle some crushed red pepper flakes into the slow cooker.
You can make this recipe with boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts if you'd like. In that case, increase the cooking time to 6 to 7 hours. Always test chicken before you eat it to make sure it is thoroughly cooked. It should be 160 F every time.
Brown rice is used in this recipe because it cooks better in the slow cooker. This type of rice has the bran attached, which means it absorbs water more slowly than white rice.
You can add other veggies to this recipe too if you'd like. Some thawed frozen peas are good stirred in at the last minute, or add some chopped or sliced mushrooms along with the onions and celery.
Serve this spicy recipe with a green salad tossed with avocados and mushrooms and some fresh fruit for a cooling contrast. Some cold beer and sparkling water complete the menu beautifully.
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 3/4 cup brown
- 1 (10-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup Buffalo wing hot sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Spray a 4-5 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the prepared crockpot, place the chicken breasts. Top the chicken with onion, rice, and celery.
- In a large bowl, combine the soup, hot sauce, and chicken broth and mix well. Pour into crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cover crockpot and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender and rice is al dente. Sprinkle with blue cheese and serve.