Chicken with rice has long been a favorite meal for American families. This chicken and rice dish combines condensed soups, onion soup mix, and some Parmesan cheese. It's a family-friendly meal and it's easy on the budget.
This is a quick and easy recipe to prepare and cook in the slow cooker. Use a crock pot cooking bag for easy cleanup. For an all-in-one meal, layer about 2 cups of frozen cut green beans over the chicken. Boneless chicken thighs are another good choice for the slow cooker because they maintain their juiciness over a long period of cooking while chicken breasts can become dry. The minimum safe temperature for chicken is 165 F. To ensure the chicken is done, insert an instant-read thermometer into the thickest pieces.
Rice can become mushy when overcooked. Some people say that their rice came out mushy in their slow cooker dish while others say their dish was perfect. If your slow cooker tends to cook items more quickly than instructions indicate, check the rice after about 3 to 4 hours. Another option is to add the rice to the slow cooker about halfway through the cooking time. Or consider farro instead of rice; it maintains a nice texture even after long cooking. Farro doesn't expand as much, so use 1 1/2 cups uncooked and increase the chicken stock to 2 cups.
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (1-ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups raw converted rice
- 2 pounds chicken breasts (boneless, 6 chicken breast halves)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Parmesan cheese
- In a bowl, combine the cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soups with the onion soup mix, milk, and chicken stock. Add the rice and mix well.
- Spray the crock pot with nonstick cooking spray or line with a crock pot cooking liner.
- Place the chicken breasts in the crock pot and drizzle melted butter over them.
- Pour the soup and rice mixture over the chicken. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or until the rice is tender and the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- To serve, spoon the rice on a plate. top with the chicken or a steamed vegetable and then the chicken. Spoon more of the rice and sauce over the chicken.
How much chicken should you allow for your family? Generally, a serving size of chicken is 4 ounces. For very young children—1 to 6 years of age—allow about 1 ounce and about 2 to 3 ounces for children from 7 to 10. If the chicken breasts are very large and thick, you might want to slice them in half to make two cutlets.