This delicious crock pot chicken barbecue is a fabulous pulled chicken made with chicken breasts. If you use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts, it may be cooked for a longer period of time.
Feel free to use 1 1/2 cups of barbecue sauce along with the hot pepper flakes and garlic powder and skip the rest of the sauce ingredients.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 1 pound
- 1 1/2 cups tomato ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground red hot pepper flakes, or to taste
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce in the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken; turn to coat thoroughly with the sauce.
- Cook the chicken on high for 3 to 4 hours, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Shred or chop chicken, and return it to the sauce in the pot. Mix well so all the pieces are coated.
- You can keep the slow cooker on low or warm to keep the chicken warm for serving on hard rolls.
Tips and Variations
- Check the chicken for doneness after 2 1/2 to 3 hours on high. Chicken breasts can become dry when overcooked. Chicken thighs may be cooked for a longer period of time.
- Replace the ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and vinegar with your favorite barbecue sauce.