This delicious crock pot chicken barbecue is made with cooked and shredded chicken breasts. Feel free to use all or part chicken thighs in the dish. If you use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts, they may be cooked for a longer period of time.
Feel free to use 1 1/2 cups of barbecue sauce along with the hot pepper flakes and garlic powder and skip the rest of the sauce ingredients.
Serve these sandwiches for lunch or dinner with coleslaw and dill pickle slices, or make party-sized sliders.
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts (without skin)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red flakes (or to taste)
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce in the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken; turn to coat thoroughly with the sauce.
- Cook the chicken on high for 3 to 4 hours, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Shred or chop the chicken and return it to the sauce in the pot. Mix thoroughly so all of the chicken is coated.
- You can keep the slow cooker on low or warm to keep the chicken warm for serving on soft or hard rolls.
Tips and Variations
- Check the chicken for doneness after 2 1/2 to 3 hours on high. Chicken breasts can become dry when overcooked. Chicken thighs may be cooked for a longer period of time.
- Replace the ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and vinegar with your favorite barbecue sauce.