Using plain sun dried tomatoes, not those packed in oil, will reduce the fat in this recipe for crockpot chicken with sun-dried tomatoes. The tomatoes will soften in the cooking liquid during the long cooking time.
This super simple recipe takes about 10 minutes to put together, and it cooks all day while you are away at school or your job. Coming home to this recipe, your house will be filled with wonderful flavor.
Keeping the bone in the chicken breast means it can cook for a longer period of time without drying out or getting tough. You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this recipe, but then the cooking time should be reduced to about 6 hours. You can substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs if you'd like for an 8 to 9 hour cooking time. In that case, use 8 to 12 chicken thighs to serve four people.
Serve this recipe with hot cooked noodles, mashed potatoes, or polenta to soak up the wonderful sauce. If you'd like the sauce to be a bit thicker, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1/3 cup of water or chicken broth at the end of cooking time. When you remove the chicken to take it off the bone and shred it, add the cornstarch slurry to the sauce in the slow cooker. Return the chicken to the slow cooker, stir, and cover and cook on low for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the sauce is thickened.
All you need with this meal is a nice glass of wine and a green salad tossed with cherry tomatoes.
- 1 (3-ounce) package sun dried tomatoes (not oil packed)
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 3 cups sliced cremini or button mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (2-ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Slice the tomatoes into julienne strips. Prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Combine the tomatoes with the chicken breasts, chicken broth, tomato paste, basil, mushrooms, onion, garlic, olives, salt, and pepper in a 3- to 4-quart crockpot. Cover the slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked to 165 F for food safety.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and cut the meat off the bone.
- Shred the chicken or cut it into cubes.
- Stir it back into the slow cooker along with the spinach and stir gently to combine everything.
- Cover and cook on low for another 10 minutes or until the spinach is wilted. Discard the bones.
- Serve this dish immediately with hot cooked polenta or rice.