This easy crock pot chili is made with lean ground beef and beans. Use pinto beans or kidney beans in the chili, or try it with black beans.
This recipe makes enough chili for about 8 people, and it's easily scaled up or down. Take it along to the game or a party and serve it right from the slow cooker.
Serve this tasty easy chili recipe with freshly baked cornbread or biscuits or crumble cornbread over the top of each serving along with shredded cheese.
- 2 pounds ground beef (85% to 90% lean)
- 1 1/2 cups onions (chopped)
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) pinto beans or kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) tomatoes (diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (coarsely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of kosher salt, to taste
- cornbread, cornbread crumble, or crusty bread
In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef with the chopped onions. Drain well and spoon the ground beef into the crock pot crockery insert.
To the crock pot, add the beans, tomatoes, chopped bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, and kosher salt.
Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
Serve the chili with crackers, cornbread, or crusty bread or rolls.
Or crumble cornbread over the top of the chili and garnish with shredded cheddar, a cheddar jack blend, or pepper jack cheese.
Serves 8 to 10.
Tips and Variations
- For extra heat, add a few tablespoons of finely chopped jalapeno peppers or another type of hot chile pepper.
- Replace the fresh garlic with about 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Replace part or all of the ground beef with ground turkey.
- Replace 1/2 pound of the ground beef with ground sausage.
- Add about 1/2 cup of grated carrots to the skillet with the onions and beef. Carrots add a slight sweetness and chili is a great way to get vegetables into picky kids.
- Garnish Ideas: Sliced green onions, oyster crackers, sour cream, guacamole, green onions, salsa, diced fresh tomatoes, and minced red onions.
You Might Also Like