This crockpot recipe is made with ham, potatoes, onion, cheddar cheese and condensed soup. It's a very easy preparation. Just slice the potatoes and onions and layer everything in the slow cooker. Mix the soups and milk together and pour over the casserole.
I cooked this in the slow cooker in about 3 1/2 t0 4 hours. If your potatoes are rather thick, it might take a bit longer.
I made the casserole with sharp cheddar, but mild cheddar or cheddar jack cheese will work as well. I also used a 1-pound package of diced ham instead of slices.
Serve the potatoes with a tossed salad and biscuits or crusty bread. Or reduce the amount of ham and serve the potatoes as a side dish.
- 12 to 16 ounces sliced or diced ham
- 8 to 10 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced, about 3 to 3 1/2 pounds
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cans (10 3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- Put half of ham, potatoes, and onions in the crock pot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and then add 1 cup of the grated cheese.
- Add remaining ham, potatoes, and onions, and sprinkle lightly with more salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine the two cans of condensed soup with the 2/3 cup of milk.
- Spoon the soup mixture over the potatoes and top with the remaining 1/2 cup or cheese
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 8 hours or about 3 1/2 to 4 hours on HIGH, or until the potatoes are tender.
Tips and Variations
- To make a vegetarian dish, omit the ham or use vegetarian sausage crumbles or bacon for a smoky flavor.
- Some good substitutes for the cheddar cheese: Monterey Jack, shredded American cheese (Velveeta), smoked cheddar, or colby cheese.
- Add sliced celery to the layers along with the onions.
- Add thinly sliced or diced red and/or green bell pepper to the layers with the onions.
- Instead of ham, use diced smoked sausage or browned crumbled sausage.
- Replace the ham with about 6 to 8 ounces of crumbled cooked bacon
- Add sliced mushrooms to the layers with the sliced onions.
- Replace the salt with seasoned salt or Cajun or Creole seasoning.