Italian beef has long been a slow cooker favorite, and it is loaded with flavor. The Italian-style pickled vegetables — giardiniera and pepperoncini — give this dish its name.
The beef pot roast is slow cooked to perfection with the pickled vegetables, Italian salad dressing mix, and beef broth. This is a fabulous dish for tailgating or a game day party at home.
Serve the shredded beef from the slow cooker along with soft toasted split buns.
- Place the beef roast in a 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker. Combine Giardiniera, pepperoncini peppers, dry salad dressing mix, and condensed beef broth.
- Add all mixture to crockpot.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hours, or until meat is very tender.
- Use a fork to shred for sandwiches and serve with crusty Italian rolls or crusty bread.
- To make a substitute for condensed beef broth, bring 2 cups of beef stock — preferably low sodium or unsalted — to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until it is reduced to about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups.
- Replace the condensed beef broth with a can of condensed French onion soup.