This is a basic macaroni and cheese recipe for the slow cooker. The recipe makes enough for about 8 people. I used gluten-free macaroni in the recipe (pictured) and cooked it on high in the Crock-Pot Casserole ( See It/ Buy It From Amazon) for about 2 hours. Or use a standard 3- to 5-quart slow cooker.
Take this mac and cheese along to a potluck or party and serve it warm from the slow cooker.
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 8 tablespoons softened butter, divided
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese or a blend of cheddar and American cheeses
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water following the package directions. Drain well.
Grease bottom and sides the slow cooker with 1 tablespoon of the butter. In a large bowl, toss the hot macaroni with the remaining 7 tablespoons of butter. Add the evaporated milk and regular milk and the cheddar cheese and stir gently to combine.
Turn the macaroni and cheese mixture into the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours or on HIGH for about 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Tips and Variations
- Cook about 10 to 12 strips of bacon. Drain and crumble into the macaroni and cheese mixture. Stir and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add one or two 4-ounce cans (drained) of diced mild green chile peppers or jalapeno peppers, or add fresh minced chile, to taste.
- Instead of salt and pepper, season the macaroni and cheese with Cajun seasoning or Taco seasoning, to taste.
You Might Also Like