This is a basic macaroni and cheese recipe for the slow cooker. The recipe makes enough for about 8 people, and the crockpot makes it especially convenient if you need the stovetop and oven for other dishes.
The pictured macaroni and cheese was made with gluten-free macaroni cooked in the Crock-Pot Casserole ( See It/ Buy It From Amazon) for about 2 hours. It can be cooked in a standard 3- to 5-quart slow cooker as well.
Take the finished macaroni and cheese along to a potluck or party, crockpot and all. Plug it in and serve it hot right from the slow cooker.
Related Recipe: Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese With Variations
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 8 tablespoons softened butter, divided
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk (2% is okay)
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese or a blend of cheddar and American cheeses
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook the elbow macaroni in boiling salted water following the package directions. Drain well.
- Generously grease the interior bottom and sides of the slow cooker with 1 tablespoon of the softened butter.
- In a large bowl, toss the hot drained macaroni with the remaining 7 tablespoons of butter. Add the evaporated milk, the regular milk, and the cheddar cheese and then stir gently to combine.
- Turn the macaroni and cheese mixture into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours or on HIGH for about 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Tips and Variations
- Cook about 10 to 12 strips of bacon in a skillet or in the oven until crisp. Drain and crumble the bacon into the macaroni and cheese mixture. Stir and transfer to the slow cooker. Continue with the recipe.
- Add one or two 4-ounce cans (drained) of diced mild green chile peppers or a few tablespoons of chopped jalapeno peppers or pimientos, or add some fresh minced chile, to taste.
- Instead of salt and pepper, season the macaroni and cheese with Cajun seasoning or Taco seasoning, to taste.
- Transfer the finished macaroni and cheese to a baking dish and cover with buttered bread crumbs. Place under the broiler until the topping is browned.
You Might Also Like