This recipe for Crockpot Mashed Potatoes is perfect for the holidays because there's no last minute preparation. The potatoes will stay warm, on the "keep warm" setting on your slow cooker, for a couple of hours.
In this recipe, the potatoes are actually cooked and mashed out of the crockpot, then cooked for a couple of hours to blend the flavors. Red potatoes are used because they have the smoothest texture. You can use russets, creamer potatoes, or Yukon Gold potatoes if you'd like. Cream cheese, sour cream, and butter are all added for incredibly creaminess and a complex flavor. This really is a special recipe.
It's delicious served with everything from roast beef to roast chicken to stuffed turkey or meatloaf. It's really perfect for Thanksgiving dinner, since that's one less thing you have to think about! Add a nice green vegetable, such as broccoli or green beans, to add some color to your menu along with the main dish.
- 5 pounds red potatoes, cut into chunks (peeled if you like)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add potatoes, garlic and chicken bouillon cubes. Cook potatoes until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving a little of the cooking water.
- Mash potatoes with the sour cream and cream cheese, adding reserved cooking water to reach desired consistency if necessary.
- Transfer to a 4 quart crockpot, cover, and cook on low for 2 to 3 hours. Just before serving, stir in butter until melted, and season with salt and pepper to taste.