This combination of red cabbage, apples, and bacon drippings is classic. The bacon drippings make up the tasty dressing along with apple cider vinegar and some sugar.
The bacon drippings add nice flavor but can be replaced with butter if you prefer a vegetarian dish. Or use coconut oil.
- 1 large head of red cabbage, washed and coarsely sliced
- 6 tart apples, cored and quartered
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped, about 1 cup
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons bacon drippings
- Cut the cabbage into four wedges, remove the core, and coarsely slice.
- Core the apples and cut into wedges.
- Place the sliced cabbage and apple wedges in the crockpot along with the chopped onion. Sprinkle with salt.
- In a bowl, combine the hot water, sugar, vinegar, and bacon drippings; pour over cabbage mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Stir well before serving.
For extra flavor, add a tablespoon or two of caraway seeds to the cabbage an hour or so before it's finished cooking.