This is Pat's easy crock pot taco soup made with lean ground beef or ground turkey. Canned beans and the slow cooker make this soup a snap to prepare and cook. Feel free to replace the kidney beans or black beans with pinto beans or great northern beans.
I drain the corn and add 1 cup of low sodium or unsalted beef stock to the dish.
Make a garnish of fried corn tortilla strips — see the tips and variations — or use store-bought tortilla chips or strips to serve with the soup. Shredded cheddar cheese or a dollop of sour cream are excellent toppings as well.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground round or turkey
- 1 med to large onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can corn, undrained*
- 1 can black beans, undrained
- 1 can kidney beans, undrained
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes with chiles**
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- taco strips or chips and shredded cheese, for garnish
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion; cook for 2 minutes. Add the ground beef or turkey and cook, stirring and breaking up, until no longer pink. Drain and transfer to the crock pot.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours.
Top servings with tortilla chips or strips, shredded cheese, sour cream, or chopped fresh cilantro or green onions.
Serve the soup with freshly baked cornbread or crusty bread.
Serves 6 to 8.
*Or add 1 cup of beef stock and drain the corn.
**Zesty chili style tomatoes or plain diced tomatoes and two small cans of mild chile peppers may be substituted.
Tips and Variations
- Fried Tortilla Strips: Stack 2 to 3 corn tortillas. Cut them in half and then cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch strips. Heat about an inch or two of vegetable oil in a deep skillet or saucepan to 350 F. Fry the tortilla strips in two batches until golden brown. Remove them to paper towels to drain. Use the tortilla strips as a garnish for the taco soup.
- Add a few tablespoons of fresh or canned chopped jalapeno peppers.
- Add 1 carrot, sliced thinly or sliced julienne.
You Might Also Like