This is Pat's easy crock pot taco soup made with lean ground beef or ground turkey. Canned beans and the slow cooker make this soup a snap to prepare and cook. Feel free to replace the kidney beans or black beans with pinto beans or great northern beans.
I drain the corn and add 1 cup of low sodium or unsalted beef stock to the dish.
Make a garnish of fried corn tortilla strips — see the tips and variations — or use store-bought tortilla chips or strips to serve with the soup. Shredded cheddar cheese or a dollop of sour cream are excellent toppings as well.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground round or turkey
- 1 med to large onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can corn, undrained*
- 1 can black beans, undrained
- 1 can kidney beans, undrained
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes with chiles**
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- taco strips or chips and shredded cheese, for garnish
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion; cook for 2 minutes. Add the ground beef or turkey and cook, stirring and breaking up, until no longer pink. Drain and transfer to the crock pot.
Add the corn, black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and taco seasoning; stir well.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours.
Top servings with tortilla chips or strips, shredded cheese, sour cream, or chopped fresh cilantro or green onions.
Serve the soup with freshly baked cornbread or crusty bread.
Serves 6 to 8.
*Or add 1 cup of beef stock and drain the corn.
**Zesty chili style tomatoes or plain diced tomatoes and two small cans of mild chile peppers may be substituted.
Tips and Variations
- Fried Tortilla Strips: Stack 2 to 3 corn tortillas. Cut them in half and then cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch strips. Heat about an inch or two of vegetable oil in a deep skillet or saucepan to 350 F. Fry the tortilla strips in two batches until golden brown. Remove them to paper towels to drain. Use the tortilla strips as a garnish for the taco soup.
- Add a few tablespoons of fresh or canned chopped jalapeno peppers.
- Add 1 carrot, sliced thinly or sliced julienne.
You Might Also Like