01 of 03
How to Make Crown of Thorns Quilt Blocks
A Few Words About the Crown of Thorns Quilt Block
The Crown of Thorns quilt block patterns looks somewhat intricate, but the block is easy to make because a good chunk of its patchwork can be assembled easily with quick piecing techniques.
Choose a wide range of colors for your block or work with fewer if you prefer -- the choice is yours. The inner focal area is large enough to feature a fussy cut area of fabric -- remaining fabrics could be built on the colors in the center.
Tone on tone fabrics w...ork nicely in the Crown of Thorns quilt block but do mix it up a bit to create lots of visual texture. My article, How to Choose Fabrics for Quilts, might help you select fabrics. You'll find more tips in Working with Contrast in Quilts and How to Use a Basic Color Wheel.
Finished Crown of Thorns Quilt Blocks: 12" x 12"
Fabric & Cutting Instructions
Mottled medium-dark green:
- (1) 4-3/4" x 4-3/4" square for center
- (2) 4-1/4" x 4-1/4" squares for outer areas of blocks
- (2) 3-7/8" x 3-7/8" squares, each cut in half once diagonally
- (2) 4-1/4" x 4-1/4" squares; (2) 3" x 3" squares
- (2) 3" x 3" squares
Continue to 2 of 3 below.
- (4) 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" squares; (3) 4-1/4" x 4-1/4" squares, each cut twice diagonally to produce 8 triangles with the straight grain on the longest edge
02 of 03
Assemble the Crown of Thorns Quilt Block
Step By Step Assembly Instructions
- Gather the 3" maroon squares and 3" gold squares.
- Use the quick pieced half square triangle method to sew contrasting squares together, and then cut apart as directed to create two half square triangle units that measure 2-5/8" square. It's usually best to keep the seams on each side of the lines you draw just a bit narrower than a quarter inch.
- Make two more identical units with the remaining 3" gold squares and 3" maroon squares.
- Use the... same method to sew each 4-1/4" gold square to a 4-1/4" green square. When complete, you should have four gold/green half-square triangle units, each measuring 3-7/8" square.
- Cut each of the gold/green half-square triangle units in half once diagonally across the seam as shown. You should now have eight patchwork gold/green segments -- four each of two mirror image layouts.
- Refer to the diagram, bottom left. Place a gold/maroon half square triangle unit on point, its maroon triangle pointing right. Sew a purple triangle (cut by dividing a 4-1/4" square twice diagonally) to the gold edges, aligning long edges of the purple triangles as shown. Press seam allowances towards the triangle.
- Sew a gold/green triangle unit to the upper and lower left edges of the unit you just created (will be a mirror image pair as shown). Press seam allowances towards the gold/green units.
- Center and sew a neutral background triangle (cut by dividing a 3-7/8" square) to opposite sides of the large green square. Repeat on the two opposite sides (not shown, see block center on page 1 or page 3)
Continue to 3 of 3 below.
03 of 03
Finish Sewing the Crown of Thorns Quilt Block
Assemble the Crown of Thorns
- Arrange components into three vertical rows as shown. Sew components of each row together.
- Press seam allowances in adjoining rows in opposite directions where possible. Sew rows together and press the quilt block.
- The Crown of Thorns quilt block should measure 12-1/2" x 12-1/2". Technically, the block would measure .01" larger, but seam allowances usually eat up that tiny amount.