This German cucumber-dill salad, or gurkensalat, in a vinegar-and-sugar dressing, is a winning combination of flavors that makes a refreshing summer salad that goes well with many types of meat, especially pork.
If dill and red onion isn't your thing, they can be left out and the result will still be a delicious salad.
Or you might like to try this recipe for creamy cucumber and dill salad.
- 1 seedless cucumber (long and skinny, slightly bumpy), or 2 American cucumbers
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion, sliced and broken into rings (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (optional)
- Wash the cucumber(s). If you have unwaxed, seedless cucumbers you can leave part or all of the skin on in strips (attractive when sliced). All others should be peeled.
- Using a mandoline, a food processor with the thin slicer attachment, or the slicer opening on a cheese grater, slice the cucumber(s) very thinly. Set aside.
- Make the dressing by placing the vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a serving bowl and whisking until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Add the sliced cucumber, red onion rings, and chopped dill, if using, and toss well. Marinate for 5 or more minutes and serve.
What to Serve with Gurkensalat
Just like applesauce, cucumbers in dill just seem to naturally go with roasted pork. Here are some suggestions:
- Pork Roast with Caraway Seed Recipe: This is a set-it-and-forget-it type of recipe. It virtually cooks itself roasting away in caraway and beer.
- Braised Pork and Cabbage Recipe: This variation of a traditional German pig knuckle dish is made with pork belly braised on a bed of chopped cabbage.
- Boneless Mustard Pork Chops Recipe: This easy recipe is perfect for a busy day. It cooks up fast with a minimum amount of labor and tastes like you slaved all day.
- Pork Roast in Wine Recipe: The pork is marinated in dry white wine for 12 to 24 hours before cooking and then it's a breeze as it cooks happily in an oven bag with onion and allspice.
- Schwenkbraten Recipe: Pork steaks and onions are grilled for a perfect summertime (or year-round) dish that benefits from a cooling cucumber salad.
- Stuffed Pork Loin Recipe: In this treatment, a pork loin is butterflied and stuffed, and then grilled over indirect, medium heat to let the inside cook before the outside gets burned and dried out.