This simple curried chicken salad is an excellent choice for sandwiches, rolls, or a simple luncheon salad. I like dried cranberries in the salad with the apples, but raisins may be used, or try it with a few tablespoons of finely chopped pineapple instead of the apple.
Serve this flavorful salad on buns or bread or spoon it onto lettuce leaves or mixed greens for a wonderful luncheon salad.
I included directions for cooking the chicken breasts, but feel free to use store-bought fully-cooked roasted chicken strips or a cooked rotisserie chicken.
- 2 chicken breast halves, cooked and chopped or shredded
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried cranberries
- 1 Granny Smith apple, shredded
- 5 to 7 tablespoons mayonnaise, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
Put the chicken breasts in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook the chicken for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Drain and set aside to cool.
Chop the cooked chicken or shred it and place it in a large bowl. Add the chopped celery, green onion, walnuts, cranberries, and apple. Toss to blend.
In a small bowl, combine about 5 tablespoons of mayonnaise, the curry powder, and parsley, if using. Stir to blend well.
Stir the dressing mixture into the chicken mixture. Blend well. Taste and add more mayonnaise and curry powder, as needed. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
Serve the curried chicken salad on lettuce leaves or mixed salad greens, or use it as a sandwich filling.
Serves 3 to 4.
You Might Also Like