Curry powder and raisins add exotic flavor to this simple rice dish. The rice is sauteed first with the onions, then simmered with the broth and raisins.
Related Recipe: Baked Curry Rice With Peas
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped, about 1/4 cup
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth or beef broth
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Melt butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until soft and just beginning to turn yellow.
- Add rice and stir to coat well with the butter. Add broth, raisins, and curry powder. Stir to combine ingredients.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed.