Banana bread is arguably the most popular of the quick bread we all know and love. Even if you don't consider yourself a strong baker, this banana bread recipe is so easy you can call it "fool-proof." In fact, baking quick bread can set the foundation for making you a master baker as they use basic ingredients that are easy to prep and even easier to serve.
Banana Bread Tips: How to Ripen Bananas
When making banana bread, be sure to use ripe bananas. Bananas that are not yet ripe will create a banana bread that isn't uniform and the taste and texture will suffer. Instead, if you can't wait for days for your bananas to ripen, try this: Bake your unpeeled bananas on a baking sheet for 15 to 20 minutes in a 250 F oven until soft. Let cool (or refrigerate as you prepare your other ingredients), peel, and start baking.
Making Banana Bread Your Own
Banana bread is by no means low in fat, but it is a wonderful treat for breakfast or as a dessert. If walnuts don't suit your fancy, choose toss-ins of your choice to make it your own. Other nuts commonly used in banana bread include pecans and macadamia nuts. Chocolate chips or coconut are also some staple add-ons and fruit such as raspberries or dried cherries can add some tart flavor to this sweet staple.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups soy margarine (1 ½ sticks)
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 4 large eggs
- 7 large bananas (over-ripe and mashed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup walnuts (finely ground)
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Use soy margarine or oil to grease two 9" x 5" loaf pans.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, cream together the soy margarine and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the mashed bananas and vanilla, beating until combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, fold in the dry ingredients and the ground walnuts until just combined (do not over-mix).
- Pour batter into the prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the loaves comes out clean, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Transfer loaves to a wire cooling rack to cool slightly before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.