Nothing says celebration quite like a cake. From birthday cakes to fruit cakes to cheesecakes, a cake is one dessert that is created to make any event just a little more special, and although most traditional cake recipes call for tons of dairy ingredients, this list contains dairy-free recipes for all kinds of classic cakes. Browse through to find your favorite!
01 of 08
Birthdays are special occasions, which is why a cake is the dessert for such festivities. Select a dairy-free frosting to top it off.
02 of 08
Dairy-Free Bundt Cakes
Bundt cakes are perfect for busy home cooks. They're impressive desserts that go well with just about anything, from your morning coffee to your afternoon tea, and they're so beautiful. Just whip up the batter, pour it in the pan, and top it off with a delicious glaze after it cools.
Although most traditional bundt cakes call for a lot of butter and sometimes sour cream and milk as well, here are some dairy-free recipes that will fool even the most devout bundt cake gourmand:
- Banana Bundt... Cake: This is like banana bread but in bundt cake form. You can make it with or without nuts.
- Chocolate Whiskey Bundt Cake: This adult bundt cake includes coffee and bourbon in the ganache icing. It's great for New Year's Eve.
- Pumpkin Bundt Cake: You may want this cake to go with your pumpkin-spiced latte. Or enjoy it simply because it's the taste of the autumn season.
- Vegan Maple Butter Bundt Cake: This cake doesn't taste like it lacks anything, although it has no dairy or eggs. It's full of maple-cinnamon flavor and you can ice it with Vegan Caramel or Vegan Ganache.
03 of 08
It's true: nothing about a traditional cheesecake is dairy-free or vegan, from the cream cheese to the sour cream to the eggs to the butter in the crust.
For those of use who love cheesecake but can't do the dairy due to allergies or dietary preference, there are ways to make a cheeseless and eggless cheesecake delicious:
- Plain Dairy-Free Vegan Cheesecake: Here is the blank canvas. You can enjoy this cheesecake topped with fruit, as in Blueberry, Cherry, or Strawberry Cheesecake.
- Chocola...te Cheesecake: This recipe uses almond meal and dairy-free cream cheese. It takes a few extra steps.
- Pumpkin Cheesecake: This vegan recipe on a graham cracker crust will satisfy anybody's pumpkin-spice cravings.
04 of 08
Dairy-Free Chocolate Cakes
Who doesn't love a good chocolate cake? Easily the most popular flavor, chocolate cake is the go-to option for a party because you know it's a crowd-pleaser. Besides the recipes included above, here are just a few rich, decadent favorites that are conveniently dairy-free:
Continue to 5 of 8 below.
- Moist Chocolate Cake: Enjoy this recipe made with dairy-free sour cream and strong brewed coffee. It's a delight you can coat with frosting or ganache.
- Flourless Chocolate Cake: For your gluten-free friends, you can... make this delight that is also dairy-free. It has only six ingredients.
- Vegan Chocolate Cake: This recipe uses silken tofu instead of eggs and butter. Make a two-layer cake.
05 of 08
Cupcakes have made a comeback in the culinary world in recent years, and they are now seen in high-end cooking circles as well as at kids' birthday parties and school events. Easy to transport and fun to eat, these dairy-free cupcake recipes are great for any occasion that needs just a little extra sweet something:
- Easy Chocolate Cupcakes: Made with coconut milk and soy yogurt, these are great however you choose to ice them. But try the Peanut Butter Frosting.
- Mini Sprinkle Cupcakes: Perfect... for parties. These white cupcakes can be decorated for the occasion. They are made with dairy-free sour cream and soy margarine.
- Red Velvet Cupcakes: These are a fancy choice. They taste of chocolate but the red color makes them fun.
06 of 08
Dairy-Free Spice Cakes and Carrot Cakes
Carrot cakes, spice cakes, and coffee cakes are terrific all year round and especially during fall and spring; apple cakes and coffee cakes are lovely additions to tea times and holidays during the fall months, and no springtime or Easter celebration is complete without a layered carrot cake. These recipes are sure to please:
- Apple Cake: This vegan recipe includes flax seeds. It has all of the autumn spices you could want.
- Dairy-Free Carrot Cake: Make a layered carrot cake with yummy frosting... between each layer. No fancy ingredients needes other than non-dairy rice milk.
- Raw Carrot Cake: This interesting cake requires no cooking. It's loaded with carrots, pineapple, and cashews.
- Vegan Carrot Cake: Enjoy this cake that uses egg replacer.
07 of 08
Dairy-Free White and Yellow Cakes
Great for weddings, birthdays, showers, and everyday, white cakes and yellow cakes are bright and fun, and they're easy to decorate any way you like! Here are some dairy-free favorites:
- Angel Food Cake: This classic is naturally dairy-free and low fat. You can also turn the recipe into cupcakes.
- Lemon Cake: It's glorious what the juice and zest of one lemon can do in this basic cake.
- White Cake: If you leave out egg yolks, you can have a beautiful white cake. Here's how to make it... dairy-free (but not vegan).
- Yellow Cake: If you use the egg yolks, you end up with yellow cake. It's dairy-free but not vegan.
08 of 08
While baking dairy-free can present a challenge to many new bakers, baking without eggs for dairy-free-egg-free and vegan diets presents an added challenge, but that doesn't mean that there aren't many ways to make delicious vegan cakes!
Besides those listed above, here are just a few examples of tasty dairy-free egg-free cake creations that everyone, vegan or not, will love:
- Vegan Chocolate Truffle Cake: It takes only 15 minutes to prepare. Serve it with ginger-fig sauce for a decadent... delight.
- Vegan King Cake: Enjoy this for Mardi Gras or any time. It's a yeast cake, so you'll need to let it rise.
- Vegan Yellow Cake: Unlike the egg yolks used in most yellow cake, here you will use egg replacer. It also calls for dairy-free soy sour cream and coconut milk.