A perfect sweet treat for fall, this caramel dip is great for after-school snacks served with apples or pears.
Makes about 1 cup.
- ¾ cup and 2 T. plain unsweetened almond milk or soymilk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 T. dairy-free soy margarine
- ½ t. vanilla
- 1/8 t. salt
- Fill a pan large enough to hold a small saucepan with ice water. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the non-dairy milk alternative, sugar, maple syrup, soy margarine, vanilla and salt to a boil. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until medium amber in color. Place the saucepan in the prepared ice-water bath to stop the cooking.
- Transfer the caramel sauce to a heatproof container and place in the refrigerator until cool. Serve cold with apples, pears or dairy-free crackers.