The quality of any hot chocolate is defined by the quality of the chocolate you use in the recipe. For the creamiest hot chocolate recipe, use good-quality dark (about 70 % or higher) dairy-free chocolate.
Note: This recipe is suitable for dairy-free, vegan, vegetarian, egg-free, gluten-free, lactose-free, and wheat-free diets, but as with any recipe intended for persons with allergies or dietary restrictions, make sure to read all nutritional labels carefully to make sure that there are no hidden dairy-derived ingredients (or other allergens, if these apply to you).
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces dairy-free dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup white organic sugar
- 3 cups plain unsweetened soymilk, preferable refrigerated variety
- ½ t. vanilla
- In a small saucepan over low heat, whisk together the water and chocolate, stirring occasionally until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is consistent.
- Add the sugar, stirring well to dissolve.
- Turn up the heat to medium, bringing the liquid just below the boiling point, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the soymilk and vanilla, stirring well until incorporated. Cook until desired temperature and consistency.