Crepes may seem like a no-no if you're vegan or following a dairy-free diet, but this recipe makes crepes possible for you. Traditional crepe recipes are made primarily with four things: flour, eggs, milk, and butter. But this recipe skips those ingredients for cleaner fare with almond milk, coconut milk and dairy-free margarine on the list. These dairy-free crepes are also egg-free making them easy to prepare and suitable for the strictest of diets including dairy-free, egg-free and vegan diets.
Ingredient Substitutions and Cooking Tips
When cooking these crepes, be careful not to overcook them. They will cook quickly and overcooking will not only make these tough, but it'll also rob the flavor from them. To make flipping easier, I usually use my fingers--carefully--to help lift and guide the crepe while flipping with the spatula. The best spatula to use is a fish spatula as it is longer than most to be able to pick up the crepe more easily.
A crepe is just a crepe until you top it or fill it. Crepes are so versatile you can try both savory and sweet ideas and make them work. Vegan, dairy-free creme fraiche is great as a filling with fresh banana slices and a handful of nuts. For a more savory addition, add sauteed vegetables, beans or scrambled eggs.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened almond milk or soy milk
- 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons organic dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free soy margarine
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. In another small mixing bowl, whisk together the almond milk, water, coconut milk, and brown sugar until well combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until just combined. (Tip: do not over-mix)
- Lightly oil or grease (with dairy-free soy margarine) a medium-large skillet. Heat over medium-high heat until hot. Cook one crepe at a time, adding about 1/4 cup batter to the pan and swirling the pan to coat the bottom of the skillet as evenly as possible with batter. Cook for about 1 minute, or until small bubbles appear all over the surface, and, using a spatula with your fingers as guides, flip and cook the other side of the crepe until golden.
- Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter.