Etiquette has been an essential part of Debby’s life for as long as she can remember, with a southern mama who insisted on keeping her elbows off the table and writing a thank you note as soon as the dinner party host closed the door behind her. When she was old enough to register, she went to a series of department store etiquette and charm classes, where she learned to cross the room with at least one book on her head, pour tea without splashing the other squirmy kids, and give a firm (but not vice-like) handshake. She grew up in an Air Force family that insisted on following proper protocol, whether on or off the base. Then she joined a sorority in college, where she had to adhere to strict rules of behavior so she wouldn’t embarrass the sisters. To sum it all up, etiquette and good manners flow through her veins.
- Debby Mayne has been a full-time professional writer for more than 25 years.
- Some of her work has appeared in South Florida Parent, Seattle’s Child, Tampa Bay Parent Magazine, Atlanta Parent, and other regional parenting publications.
- Debby has written on the topic of Etiquette for TheSpruce since 2011, with articles for children, parents, professionals, family members, and much more.
- Debby has also written about etiquette and good manners for DexKnows Weddings, Livestrong, the Tyra Banks Magazine, and other popular e-zines.
- She is currently working on a collection of etiquette books that will eventually be available in an omnibus.
- She was a fashion product information writer for HSN.
- She was a creative writing instructor for the Longridge Writers Group adult program.
- Debby has written promotional and informational copy for Target, Uber, the Home Depot, Wayfair, and more.
- She was managing editor of a nationally distributed health magazine.
- She has had more than 60 novels published by several publishers, including Avalon, Abingdon, B&H, Barbour, Broadstreet Publishing, Heartsong Presents, Summerside Press, Winged Publications, and Gilead.
- Debby has judged several of the Writer’s Digest contests, including the Annual contest, the Short-Short competition, and the Self-Published Book competition.
BS in Health, PE, and Recreation, with a minor in English, from the University of Southern Mississippi.
Etiquette is essential in all areas of life, from birth and weddings to funerals and everything in between. Even if you don’t use all the information, it’s always good to have access to it. This site is where you’ll find what you need to know to make a good lasting impression.