01 of 06
Turn a Cheap Thrift Store Plate into Beautiful Wall Decor
One of my favorite pastimes is to wander the local thrift stores looking for objects and furniture that have lost their beauty and upcycle them into something that is once again useful, practical and cute. The other day I found some red plates that were selling for 50 cents apiece. I was looking to find something I could decorate an empty wall in my kitchen with and thought that hanging decoupage plates would be ideal! The thrift store plates were the perfect size, and I knew just how I wanted... them to look in my kitchen.
I quickly bought three of these plates for a total of $1.50 which I consider to be quite a bargain. I love the current black and white prints that are so trendy this season, so I designed some cute black and white leaf printables to decoupage the red plates and to share with all of you! These black and white printable leafs are perfect for the plate decoupage project and also would work just as well with other types of paper craft endeavors.They would for example, be cute accessories for card and scrapbooking craft projects. You can download the PDF printable here.
Continue to 2 of 6 below.
- 8.75 inch plate
- White Spray Paint
- Decoupage Medium
- Foam Brush
- Scissors designed for precision cutting
- Leaf Template PDF Download (download here)
- Clear Acrylic Craft Spray
- drop cloth or scrap cardboard
- painting respirator
- 400# sandpaper
- 0000# steel wool
02 of 06
Turn a Cheap Thrift Store Plate into Beautiful Wall Decor: Step 1
Continue to 3 of 6 below.
- Place the plate onto a drop cloth or leftover cardboard.
- Paint the plate with white spray paint that contains primer on one side of the plate.It is a good idea to use a painting respirator while working with spray paint.
- Let the paint dry.
- Turn the plate over and spray the backside of the plate with the white spray paint.
- Let the plate dry.
03 of 06
Turn a Cheap Thrift Store Plate into Beautiful Wall Decor: Step 2
Continue to 4 of 6 below.
- Download the decoupage leaf PDF template here.
- Print the sheet template with a laser printer onto regular computer paper.
04 of 06
Turn a Cheap Thrift Store Plate into Beautiful Wall Decor: Step 3
Cut the leaves from the decoupage template printable with scissors designed for precision cutting.Continue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
Turn a Cheap Thrift Store Plate into Beautiful Wall Decor: Step 4
Arrange the leaves around the edge of the plate as in the photo above.When you are pleased with the placement, you are ready to apply the decoupage medium.Continue to 6 of 6 below.
06 of 06
Turn a Cheap Thrift Store Plate into Beautiful Wall Decor: Step 5
- Apply the decoupage medium to the plate with a foam brush.
- Use your fingers to smooth down the decoupage leafs on the plate.
- To get a flat surface apply at least five coats of decoupage medium letting each coat dry 15 to 20 minutes between each coat
- Wet sand the front of the plate with 400# sandpaper until the finish is smooth.
- Polish the plate with 0000# steel wool.
- Spray with acrylic sealer and let dry.
- Hang the plate onto your wall with a plate hanger, or place on a stand for display.
These plates... are strictly for decorative use. Do not eat from these plates or try to clean them in a dishwasher.If you wish to clean the plates dust them lightly with a damp cloth.