Top these simple, basic deviled eggs with sliced grape tomatoes, snipped chives, or olive slices. I like them with slices of cornichons or diced cooked bacon.
- 7 large eggs (hard-cooked)
- 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 scant teaspoon prepared mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: paprika
- Optional Garnishes: sliced grape tomatoes, finely chopped red onion, sliced olives, snipped chives
- Cut 6 of the hard-cooked eggs in half lengthwise.
- Scoop the cooked yolks out of egg halves. Press yolks and remaining whole hard-cooked egg through a sieve into a small bowl. Stir in 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise and the mustard; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more mayonnaise, as needed.
- Mound the yolk filling in the egg white halves.
- Sprinkle the tops with a little sweet paprika, if desired.
- Garnish with sliced olives, sliced grape or cherry tomatoes, finely chopped the red onion, or snipped fresh chives.
Makes 12 deviled egg halves.