Most traditional Spanish lunches start out with appetizers or tapas. The most common might be olives, ham, and cheese while other families put out roasted red peppers, anchovies, or deviled eggs.
This deviled eggs with tuna recipe (huevos rellenos de atún) is a traditional Spanish egg recipe. Deviled eggs are often served as a pre-lunch appetizer in homes around Spain. This version combines tuna and tomato sauce with creamy egg yolks. The dish is then topped with homemade mayonnaise and sprinkled with sweet Spanish paprika.
This recipe is quick to make and a bright addition to any lunchtime meal. Make them and learn why deviled eggs with tuna are a Spanish favorite.
- 12 large eggs (hard-boiled)
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tuna (packed in oil)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (homemade)
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (homemade or purchased)
- Garnish: sweet Spanish paprika
- Garnish: fresh chives and cherry tomatoes
- First, boil the eggs in water until hard-boiled. After the eggs are hard-boiled, cool in cold water.
- Peel carefully, and cut the eggs in half lengthwise. Carefully remove the yolks.
- Place the cooked yolks in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork until crumbled into small pieces. Set aside the boiled egg whites for later.
- Drain the oil from the canned tuna and put the fish into another mixing bowl. Separate the tuna with a fork and add the tomato sauce. Stir to combine with the tuna.
- Add half of the egg yolks to the bowl and mix until a paste. (To keep the mixture moist, you may need to add more tomato sauce.) Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon this tuna mixture into the halved egg whites.
- Place a small amount of mayonnaise on top of each egg. Use some of the rest of the crumbled egg yolks to decorate your deviled eggs by sprinkling over the egg halves. Then sprinkle sweet Spanish paprika over the egg halves for decoration.
- Optionally, you can garnish your tuna deviled eggs with half of a cherry tomato and some chives. Simply slice cherry tomatoes in half, and place one half on top of each deviled egg. Sprinkle chives on top of the serving dish.
- Chill the deviled eggs and keep them refrigerated until you are ready to serve them.