Providing discounts for teachers is a way that businesses can give back to those who teach our future generations. Teachers can get discounts on classroom supplies and materials, books for both classroom and personal use, clothing, technology, and even travel.
For almost all of these teacher discounts, you'll need to prove that you're an educator. Most of the time you'll just need to show your school ID but you may also be asked to show a paystub, a teaching certificate, a .edu email address, or school letterhead. Most of the links will tell you what you need but you can always give them a call so you have everything you need. Homeschoolers and school staff are usually not included but you'll need to check out each offer for details.
While these are national discounts for teachers, you may have teacher discounts that you can get in your local area. Keep your eye out for posters and on social media to find out. It also never hurts to ask a business if they have a discount. If enough people ask, they may just start giving one!
The discounts below are for all teachers but if you're a member of the NEA (National Education Association), you can get a ton of member benefits on shopping, travel, insurance, investing, and banking.
01 of 05
Classroom Supplies and Materials
Some of the best discounts for teachers focus on what they need for their classroom. These office supply, craft, art, and school supply stores all offer an educator discount. These are some generous discounts that often range from 10% to 20%.
- The Container Store: The Container Store has an Organized Teacher Discount Program that gives teachers exclusive discounts throughout the year. Fill out the form and you'll immediately get your first offer.
- Office Depot/Office Max: Teachers can become rewards members and get 2% back in rewards on all purchases.
- Michaels: Show you valid educator ID and get 15% off any purchase, andy day of the week at Michaels.
- Ben Franklin: Teachers get 10% off purchase of classroom materials. You'll need to show a school ID or certification to get this discount.
- Jo-Ann: Teachers get 15% off every purchase, every day on both in-store and online purchases. Homeschool teachers are also eligible for this discount.
- Hobby Lobby: Schools get 10% off at Hobby Lobby but you'll need to use an official school check or credit card to get it.
- Party City: Party City will give a discount of 10% to 20% off but you'll need to use a school check or credit card.
- Blick Art Materials: Teachers, as well as students, can get a 10% discount on all purchases.
- A.C. Moore: Teachers get a 15% off discount on all purchases with proof of employment.
- Lakeshore Learning Centers: Enroll in Lakeshore's Teacher's Club and you'll get 15% off.
- Pat Catan's: Save an extra 10% off every purchase.
02 of 05
Teachers supply a lot of their own books for their classroom. These teacher discounts on books will help them build their own class library and pick up some reading for themselves.
- Barnes & Noble: Teachers get 20% off list price for classroom purchases and up to 25% off during Educator Appreciation Days when they sign up for B&N Educators.
- Half Price Books: Teachers get 10% off all purchases at Half Price Books all year long.
- Books-A-Million: Apply for a Books-a-Million educator card and you'll get a 20% discount on your purchases.
- Thriftbooks: Teachers get 15% off used classroom sets of books.
03 of 05
Teachers are asked to dress professionally for their job and these discounts at clothing stores will help them do just that.
- Belk: Shop at your local Belk or Belk.com on Tuesdays and you'll get an extra 20% off (15% off for home and shoes) your purchase. They also have a senior discount and a military discount.
- Banana Republic: Teachers and students get 15% off every day at the Banana Republic with a valid teacher ID.
- Christopher and Banks: Teachers get 10% off certain in-store purchases.
- Dressbarn: Join the Dressbarn teacher loyalty program and get 15% off regular-priced purchases.
- J.Crew and J.Crew Factory: Teachers get 15% off at when they checkout with a valid teacher ID.
- Madewell: Teachers get a 15% off discount when they show a teacher ID during checkout.
- Loft: Get 15% off your Loft purchase when you show a valid teacher ID when you checkout.
- Motherhood Maternity: Teachers get 10% off at Motherhood Maternity. You'll need to show your teacher ID to get the discount.
- L.L. Bean: Get 10% off your order at L.L. Bean.
- Toms: Teachers get a 10% discount on all styles of Toms.
04 of 05
There are a few teacher discounts available for technology such as laptops, desktops, and printers. These don't have to be just for the classroom, teachers can use this discount on their personal technology purchases too.
Continue to 5 of 5 below.
- Lenovo: Teachers get an additional 5% off any purchase and free shipping on Lenovo laptops.
- Sony: Teachers and staff who register with a .edu email address will get 10% off at the Sony Education Store.
- HP: Teachers can get a 10% discount on refurbished computers and printers.
- Cell Phone and Internet Plans: Some schools are associated with certain cell carriers and internet providers. These include AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon Wireless. Check with your school to see if this discount is available.
05 of 05
Travel & Entertainment
Teachers need a vacation just like everyone else. These special hotel rates and free attraction admissions will give them the break they deserve.
- SeaWorld: K-12 teachers get into SeaWorld for free if they teach in Florida, Texas, or Southern California. You'll need to bring a copy of your teaching certificate, current pay stub, and photo ID to get your pass.
- LEGOLAND Florida: Florida teachers get free admission into LEGOLAND and LEGOLAND Water Park. Bring a pay stub, photo ID, and teaching certificate.
- LEGOLAND California: LEGOLAND California gives free admission to California teachers on certain days of the week and times of the year.
- Kennedy Space Center: Teachers in Florida, Georgia, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands get free admission.
- Art Institute of Chicago: Illinois educators get free admission to the Art Institute of Chicago.
- Crayola Institute: All certified Pre-K through 12th grade teachers get in free every day with their ID.
- Hilton Hotels: Stay at a Hilton hotel and you can get a special rate with your ID card. This includes DoubleTree, Conrad, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Hilton, Hilton Garden, Homewood Suites, and more.
- Wyndham Hotels: Government employees get special discounted rates at Wyndham hotels.
- Walt Disney Swan and Dolphin Resort: Get an extra-low room rate when you book here.