- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or other flavor of your choice)
- 1 cup chopped nuts of your choice (optional)
1. Prepare a cookie sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine the sugar, corn syrup and water in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves. Continue cooking without stirring until the mixture reaches 250 degrees, firm-ball stage.
3. Beat the egg whites in the bowl of a large standing mixture until stiff peaks form.
Slowly pour about half of the sugar syrup into the egg whites, beating constantly.
4. Continue to cook the remaining syrup until it reaches 270 degrees, soft-crack stage.
5. Stream the remaining syrup mixture into the egg whites while the mixer is running. Continue to beat until the candy is thick, shiny and holds its shape.
6. Mix in extract and nuts until fully incorporated.
7. Drop by the teaspoonful onto cookie sheet, and let cool until full set.
Variation: Divinity can be poured into a 9-inch square pan, cooled, and cut into small squares instead of being dropped from a spoon.