Rubber stamped wrapping paper can be a quick and easy way of creating unique wrapping paper to make a present that little bit more special. Handmade gift wrap paper can be made for a variety of occasions. Rubber stamped wrapping paper can be made to complement greeting cards, created in colors to match the gift or occasion, or to literally stamp some individuality onto a present. This is a good way to ensure a ready supply of great wrapping paper for every occasion!
How to Make Stamped Gift Wrap
This is a simple project to do and is a great project to do with kids.
Time Required: Quick
What You Need:
- Plain paper such as craft or postal paper
- Rubber stamps of choice - you can use any rubber stamp or if you don't have a suitable stamp to hand, how about using a potato stamp? This is a quick and easy way to make 'stamps' for decorating wrapping paper in a variety of styles.
- Stamping ink, either dye or pigment based. If you are using potatoes or large foam stamps to stamp with you may prefer to us paint to decorate your paper.
- Spread the paper to be stamped onto a work surface. If the paper has been in a roll, it might be useful to anchor the corners to stop the paper from curling up.
- Stamp a design over the paper as required. Use this as an opportunity to try new stamping designs. Practice stamping in lines or columns, try arranging images in a pattern or try new techniques.
- If you are using dye inks then leave somewhere flat to dry or, if pigment inks are used, heat the paper to set the ink and stop the images from smudging.
Make complementary gift tags or cards by stamping onto blank gift tags and pieces of folded card stock
Related rubber stamping projects:
- Embossed gift boxes
- Rubber stamped gift bag
- Promise card
- If you are wrapping an unusually shaped present, temporarily wrap the gift in plain paper and mark where stamped images will look best. Then wow your friends by creating paper that is custom stamped to complement the shape of the gift.
- Let children do the stamping - rubber stamped wrapping paper is a great project for youngsters and could be a good introduction to the craft of rubber stamping.
- Try different types of paper, thin tissue paper can look very glamorous when stamped.
- The paper can also be embossed and this is a good way to practice this technique.
- Pick colors to reflect a theme, for example use traditional red and green for festive wrapping paper or pastel colors to make gift wrap to wrap a gift for a baby.
More Gift Packaging Tutorials and Projects
- Gift Bag - This easy-to-make gift bag is perfect for decorating and customizing with rubber stamps. Make this gift bag from kraft paper, decorate with bold stamps and add some flowers to make striking decorations - Go to Project Page
Folded Paper Tray - The folded paper tray or gift basket is perfect for presenting a wide range of gifts and comes with a template which will create a basket in two sizes - Go to Project Page
Pillow Box - Pillow boxes are a versatile form of gift packaging. This template will make pillow boxes in two sizes, however you can also resize the template on your printer or using a photocopier - Go to Project Page
Really Easy Paper Basket - This is a simple basket to make and is created from a single sheet of paper. This basket will adapt to a wide variety of other occasions and can hold a range of gifts. Vary the theme of the basket by using different papers and embellishments - Go to Project Page