Does the idea of slow living and getting closer to to nature sound dreamy to you? An exciting and adventurous option for making this dream come true is tiny home living. This space-saving and eco-friendly way of life is more within reach than you might think. In fact, building your own tiny home is a doable feat! Imagine the joy, pride, and heck yeah bragging rights that come with building your very own tiny house.
Watch Now: How Much Does It Cost to Own a Tiny House?
While it is possible, creating one from scratch can be a tall order for first-time builders—unless you know about these seven entirely doable and relatively affordable tiny house kits. Each one is designed to empower do-it-yourselfers with little or no construction experience to build their own homes.
01 of 07
Wouldn't it be convenient if you could buy a tiny house kit at your local hardware store? Well, you can, if you live near 84 Lumber. The national home improvement retailer recently launched a line of tiny houses on wheels that you could either build yourself or buy move-in ready. Currently, four models are available:
- The Roving is a rustically inspired dwelling with 154 square feet of living space.
- The Shonsie is a modern cottage with 160 square feet of interior space and a picturesque front porch.
- The Degsy is a single-level contemporary home with less than 200 square feet of livable space.
- The Countryside (shown above) is 203 square foot rustic abode covered with reclaimed wood.
The price for a move-in ready dwelling starts at around $50,000.
For the budget minded, 84 Lumber offers two different DIY options.
First is the semi-DIY package. 84 Lumber does all of the heavy construction that newbie builders find intimidating like framing the structure. That means you can get crackalackin on the fun DIY stuff, like creating a feature wall.
Each semi-DIY package comes with the following:
- A tiny house shell placed on a custom trailer. If you're not in the know, a "shell" is a home with a finished exterior and an unfinished interior. This one comes equipped with windows, exterior doors, and a shower.
- The architectural blueprints including a materials list for finishing touches you can DIY. So that you know, all materials are available at 84 Lumber.
The second option is the build your own package. Prices start at $6,884, and kits come with the following:
- Building plans.
- A trailer for towing.
- Materials list.
- Technical support.
FYI, financing is available.
Related: 9 Best Small Camper Trailers
02 of 07
Jamaica Cottage Shop
Rookie building mistakes happen. The thing is, a costly blunder can sabotage your construction budget or worse, torpedo your tiny house dream. But what if there was a do-it-yourself solution that goof proofed the DIY process?
Jamaica Cottage Shop created a line of cottage and cabin kits that their founder Domenic Mangano says anyone who can use a hammer can put together. Even better, each DIY package is made to order so you can customize your future dwelling based on your needs and budget.
Here's what you need to know:
- Each basic kit includes everything you need to build a tiny house with an unfinished interior.
- Insulation, plumbing and electrical packages cost extra.
- Custom interior options like flooring and built-in storage are also available a la carte.
- Every item in the kit from fastening hardware to precut panels are color-coded and labeled clearly for fast assembling.
- Two adults with beginner-level carpentry skills can put together a basic kit in approximately 40 hours.
If you get stumped during the building process, technical support is available via their toll-free phone line.
The kit for the Apple Blossom cabin shared above starts at $14,900. FYI, Jamaica Cottage Shop offers free shipping across the U.S.A. and Canada.
03 of 07
Shelter in a Day
Each kit comes with precision cut components crafted from durable MDF that's not only waterproof but also rust and termite resistant. All of the pieces snap together using a patented tool free interlocking system. Keep in mind; you'll need to place this tiny house on a solid foundation like a concrete slab.
More things you should know:
- The door and windows have locks.
- Paintable waterproofing for the roof costs extra.
- Shelters can be enlarged using an extension kit sold in 4-foot increments for $950.
Related: 16 Epic She Sheds and He Sheds
04 of 07
A professionally built tiny house on average costs $85,000. While most are tricked out with features that make them worth every penny, most people (myself included) can't afford them. That’s what makes building it yourself so appealing. If you have expert construction skills, you can create a livable home for a fraction of the cost.
Cabins packages are available in a wide range of sizes. A basic package for a 12-ft-by-32-ft structure that provides 384 square feet of living space costs less than $6,000.
Each kit includes:
- Pre-cut components including floor plates, ridge beam, roof paneling and fasteners for assembling.
- Standard R-13 insulation.
Additional features are available a la carte. For example, if you don’t have a concrete foundation for your tiny house, you can purchase a block and beam foundation for around $35 per linear foot.
So that you know, Arched Cabins does not offer electrical and plumbing packages.Continue to 5 of 7 below.
05 of 07
Tumbleweed Tiny Houses
Here's what you get:
- Either a Cypress, Elm, Linden or Mica tiny house shell placed on a trailer.
- Fully insulated subfloor.
- Stick built walls with a vapor barrier.
- Stick built roof with both rain and ice shield.
Additional house features including windows, doors, siding and a shower cost extra. Financing is available.
06 of 07
Just because you're downsizing, doesn't mean you can't live luxuriously large with a small footprint.
Tiny Heirloom is a custom home building company that embraces the minimal lifestyle without forgoing indulgent features like claw foot tubs, or tricked-out kitchens. Their latest offering, is a tiny house kit called The Perfect Startfor DIYers who want to minimize luxuriously without the custom-built price tag. Packages, which include a tiny house shell start at $15,000.
07 of 07