01 of 03
Make Dolly Madison Star Quilt Blocks
Dolly Madison star is an easy quilt block pattern that's similar to Ohio Star. I changed Dolly Madison's layout just a tiny bit to make it easier to assemble.
Dolly Madison Star's Structure
- The quarter square triangle units that make up the star tips in the Dolly Madison star are easily created by using quick pieced half square triangle units as their parents.
- The block's center is a simple nine-patch unit.
- Block corners are made with easy rotary cut fabric squares.
Finished Block... Size: 9" x 9"
Fabric for One Dolly Madison Star Quilt Block
Use your stash to make a set of scrappy quilt blocks and then sew them together in any way you like. Take a look at an on point quilt layout examples on page 3.
Quilting Fabrics and Cutting Instructions
- (2) 4-1/4" x 4-1/4" squares
- (4) 4-1/4" x 4-1/4" squares
- (2) 4-1/4" x 4-1/4" squares
- (5) 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" squares**
- (4) 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" squares
Black or navy print
- (4) 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" squares**
**Alternate Method: The center nine-patch can be strip pieced — a good method when making many identical blocks. Use 1-1/2" wide strips of the two fabrics and create strip sets that mimic rows 1 and 3 (identical) and row 2 (see examples in another pattern — left and middle drawings).
Use the segment size and number of segments needed to calculate strip length, for instance:
Continue to 2 of 3 below.
- If you're making three quilt blocks, you will need 6 row 1/row 3 segments.
- 6 segments x 1-1/2" for each segment length = 9".
- Add 1/2" to 1" for squaring up the strip set before cutting segments.
- Cut two 1-1/2" x 10" neutral strips and one 1-1/2" x 10" black strip.
- Sew the neutral strips lengthwise to each side of the black strip. Press, square up and cut away the (6) 1-1/2" segments.
- Calculate strip lengths for the center row in the same way.
02 of 03
Assemble the Dolly Madison Star Quilt Block
Sew the Star Quilt Block
Continue to 3 of 3 below.
- Pair a 4-1/4" red square with a blue print square of the same size.
- Use an easy quick piecing method to create (2) half square triangle units from the pair. Each completed unit should measure 3-7/8" x 3-7/8".
- Repeat to make two more identical half square triangle units.
- Pair each 4-1/4" background square with a 4-1/4" blue print square, using the same method to create additional half square triangle units.
- Use the same technique to make quarter square... triangle units from your half square "parents." Pair a red/blue print unit with a background/blue print unit. When positioned right sides together for sewing, the blue print halves should be against a contrasting fabric, not blue against blue. (quarter square triangle unit instructions)
- When cut apart, each quarter square triangle unit should have two blue print triangles across from each other. The neutral and red triangles will be in the remaining positions as illustrated.
- Arrange the 1-1/2" background and dark squares into three rows as shown, center illustration.
- Sew squares in each row together. Press seam allowances towards the darker fabric.
- Join the rows, matching seam intersections carefully.
- Arrange your pieced components and the 3-1/2" background squares into three rows as shown. Sew components of each row together.
- Press seam allowances towards the background squares in rows 1 and 2; towards the nine patch unit in the center row.
- Sew the rows together, matching seam intersections. Press. The quilt block should measure 9-1/2" x 9-1/2".
03 of 03
Dolly Madison Star Quilt Layout Option
The switch is enough to add a bit of variety to the quilt — varying fabrics within the stars would result in an even scrappier project.