The figures listed below are general ranges. Differences may be found depending on:
- Type of adoption,
- Area of the United States where the adoption occurs,
- Whether or not the adoption agency charges a sliding-scale fee based on family income,
- The country of origin of a foreign-born child,
- Amount of State or Federal adoption subsidy available for a child with special needs,
- Federal or State tax credits available for reimbursement of adoption expenses,
- Employer adoption benefits,
- State reimbursement for non-recurring adoption expenses for a child with special needs.
Adoption Agency Fees
Listed with the lowest and highest price ranges that can be expected.
- Application fee: Low - $100 High - $500
- Adoption home study and preparation services: Low - $700 High - $2,500
- Post-placement supervision: Low - $200 High - $1,500
- Adoptive Parent physical (each parent): Low - $35 High - $150
- Psychiatric evaluation(each parent; if required): Low - $250 High - $400
- Document preparation: Low - $500 High - $2,000
- Petition & court representation to finalize placement: Low - $2,500 High -$12,000
- Advertising: Low - $500 High - $5,000
Birth parent expenses
Note: Amount and type of expenses allowable for payment usually restricted by state law and subject to review by the court.
- Medical expenses (prenatal, birth/delivery, postnatal for mother; perinatal care for child): Low - $0 (insurance) High - $10,000 - $20,000 (depending on difficulty of the delivery, etc.)
- Living expenses (rent, food, clothing, transportation, etc): Low - $500 High - $12,000
- Legal representation: Low - $500 High - $1,500
- Counseling: Low - $500 High - $2,000
Back to the Adoption Costs menu.
Source: Child Welfare Information Gateway