This apricot pie is made with a filling of fresh apricot halves and a touch of nutmeg and lemon juice.
I included my favorite all-butter pastry recipe, but feel free to use a favorite recipe or use ready made pie pastry. If you want to be creative, cut dough strips to make a lattice crust or cover the filling with cut-out stars or circles.
- For the Pastry:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 sticks butter (cold, cut into small pieces and chilled)
- 8 to 12 tablespoons water (ice water)
- For the Filling:
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups fresh apricot halves (peeled)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter (cut in small pieces)
- For the Egg Wash:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk (or light cream)
- Combine the 2 1/2 cups of flour, salt, and 2 teaspoons of sugar in a large bowl. Whisk to blend thoroughly.
- Add the 8 ounces of chilled cut-up butter and work it into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or fingers until crumbly with some pieces of butter about the size of peas.
- Add about 5 tablespoons of the ice water (make sure there isn't any ice in it) and stir gently to mix. Continue adding ice water, a teaspoon or so at a time, until the mixture begins to clump together.
- Turn it out onto a floured surface and press the dough until it begins to hold together. Knead a few times and divide it into two flattened discs. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 45 minutes.
- Take a disc out of the refrigerator and roll out on a floured surface. Place a sheet of wax paper or parchment over the dough to make rolling easier. Roll it out to make a circle about 11 to 12 inches in diameter. Fit the pastry into the pie plate and refrigerate until you are ready to fill the pie.
- Heat the oven to 425 F (220 C/Gas 7).
- Combine 1 cup of sugar, 3 tablespoons of flour, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Fill the pie shell with the apricot halves and sprinkle with the sugar and flour mixture.
- Sprinkle lemon juice over all and then dot with the 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Roll out the remaining disc of dough and place it over the filled pie. Trim and flute edges.
- Combine the egg yolk and milk in a small bowl. Stir to blend.
- Brush lightly over the top crust. Make small slits to vent and allow steam to escape.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes.
Tips and Variations
Use 3 cups of sliced peaches or nectarines instead of apricots.
You Might Also Like