Simmering the ribs in sauce adds flavor to this Montreal specialty.
- 3 pounds spareribs*
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 4 - 5 garlic cloves
- 4 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry mustard
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cut the ribs apart. Add the spareribs to the boiling water, cover, and allow to simmer for 30 minutes until tender.
2. While the spareribs are simmering, mix together the sauce ingredients (the brown sugar, water, garlic cloves, light soy sauce and dry mustard).
3. Remove the spareribs from the pot, and slice the meat between the bones. If you like, set aside the pork broth to use in another recipe.
Clean out the pot.
4. Add the sauce ingredients to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the spareribs, bring back to a boil, and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. Serves 4 to 6.
*This recipe is very adaptable - you could also use 2 or 4 pounds of spareribs and adjust the other ingredients accordingly.