These adorable Easter nests are simply Rice Krispies treats molded into the shape of birds' nests using a muffin tin. The treats are then topped with coconut, jelly beans and/or chocolate Easter eggs.
Make these treats with the kids, and serve them at your Easter egg hunt. Directions are given for stovetop cooking and microwave cooking.
- 1/4 teaspoon water
- 2 to 4 drops green food coloring
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 3 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 (10-ounce) package regular marshmallows (or 4 cups miniature marshmallows)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Garnish: miniature marshmallows
- Garnish: jelly beans
- Garnish: chocolate eggs
- Coat with cooking spray enough cupcake tins to yield 16 (2-1/2-inch) cups.
- In a small bowl, stir together water and green food coloring. Add coconut. Stir until coconut is tinted. Spread on a baking sheet to dry.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter or margarine over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until they are completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Using lightly greased hands, divide warm mixture into prepared cupcake tins. Shape mixture into individual cups. Cool. Remove from pans.
- Fill cooled nests with coconut, marshmallows, jelly beans or chocolate eggs. These are best when eaten the same day.
- Follow steps 1 and 2 of the stove top directions above.
- In a microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth.
- Follow steps 4 to 6 of the stove top directions above. Remember, microwave cooking times may vary.
Tips for These Rice Krispies Treats
- For best results, use fresh marshmallows. a (7-ounce) jar of marshmallow crème can be substituted for marshmallows.
- Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended.
- Store no more than two days at room temperature in an airtight container.
- To freeze unfilled cups, place in a single layer on waxed paper in an airtight container. Freeze for up to six weeks. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before filling.
Source: Kellogg North America Company. Reprinted with permission.