This spiced apple crunch is a fragrant, mouthwatering dessert, perfect for a brisk fall day. The fresh tart apples can be left unpeeled if you prefer. The apples are topped with a crumbly dough and some ground cinnamon.
The apple crunch can be served warm with a scoop of ice cream. Or drizzle some heavy cream over the warm crunch dessert. Caramel sauce would be fabulous as well (see the quick and easy recipe below).
- 6 to 8 tart apples, such as Granny Smith
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, 4 1/2 ounces
- 1/2 to 1 cup sugar, depending on the tartness of the apples
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Peel the apples, if desired. core them and then cut into wedges. Slice the wedges thinly.
Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
Butter an 8-inch square baking dish.
Arrange the apple slices in the prepared baking dish.
In a bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and egg; blend well.
Sprinkle the mixture over the apples.
Drizzle melted butter evenly over crumb mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minute. Serve warm, with ice cream or whipped topping.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the apples with 2 cans of apple pie filling.
- Quick and Easy Caramel Sauce: In a saucepan combine 1 1/2 cups of packed brown sugar with 4 tablespoons of flour; blend well. Add 1 cup of boiling water and a dash of salt. Cook the mixture over medium heat for about 8 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream, and about 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, or to taste.
You Might Also Like