This apple pie recipe is easy, because it starts with pre-made refrigerated pie crusts. I like Golden Delicious apples for this recipe, but you can certainly use Rome Beauties, Granny Smiths or Jonagolds.
See Also: Apple Recipes You Won't Want to Miss
Easy Apple Pie Recipe For Kids: Preparation Made Simple
Since the pie crust is already taken care of, your kids will enjoy preparing the filling and mixing ingredients together. Start with refrigerating the pie crusts and by peeling the apples. Once apples are peeled, aim for moon shaped slices with a thickness of about 1/2 inch. Smaller pieces of fruit tend to cook more quickly, but also lose more liquid, so don't cut them too thin or too small.
Next get to separating the yolk from the egg and use a silicone pastry brush to brush the unfolded pie crusts with egg whites — this will help keep the crust dry and flaky.
Once the pie has baked, allow ample time to cool so that the filling can “set”. The rule of thumb is that fruit pies should cool at least four hours before slicing, since hot pie filling straight from the oven is usually runny. As your pie cools, the pectin molecules of the apples interact with one another, resulting in a delicious gel-like filling.
I find waiting for this easy pie recipe for kids to "set" to be the hardest part — but believe me, it's well worth it.
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg white
- 8 large Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and thinly-sliced
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Unfold one of the pie crusts into a 9-inch pie plate. Brush with egg white (this prevents the crust from getting soggy). Let the egg white dry while you prepare the filling.
- Toss apples with remaining ingredients. Place apples closely together into prepared crust.
- Unfold the second prepared pie crust over the apples, tucking the excess under the bottom crust. Now crimp the edges with your fingers.
- Cut 3-4 slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape. Brush the top of the crust with any remaining egg whites (optional).
- Cover the pie loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Bake 10 minutes. Remove the foil, lower the temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, and bake another 30-40 minutes.
- Once finished baking, set pie aside to cool.
- Once cool, slice pie and serve with a glass of milk (or better yet, a scoop of vanilla ice cream!)
Don't Miss: Recipe for Apple Pie with Maple Syrup