Everytime I go camping, I spend hours on pinterest looking for fun camping food recipes but I never seem to find anything better than a grilled cheese!
Make your next camping trip even more special by grilling up some tasty bacon and cheddar grilled cheese sandwiches! All you need are sandwich ingredients, a cast iron pan (or a jaffle iron), and a fire. It's even better if you have some sort of mesh lid, like a grease splatter screen or a large sifter, so that it will help keep the ash off of your food.
As for fillings, you can totally get creative here, but I always recommend using leftovers or bacon because then you can use the bacon grease, rather than the butter, to cook the sandwich in. You can even pre-make the sandwiches at home, wrap them in tinfoil, and throw them in a bag so that they're ready to cook whenever you get hungry.
- 2 slices bread
- 2 slices cheese
- 2 slices bacon (grease reserved for sandwich if you don't have butter)
- 2 pats salted butter (or a little bit of bacon grease or mayonnaise)
1. When your fire is burning low, you'll want to start cooking your bacon. Place your cast iron grill top on top of the fire and add your bacon. Fry for a few minutes until cooked to your liking. Remove the bacon and set aside.
2. Meanwhile assembling your sandwiches - add a couple of slices of cheese between two pieces of buttered (or bacon-greased) bread, along with the bacon and whatever fillings you have on hand.
Next, add your sandwiches to the bacon grease and wait.
2. Depending on how big and hot your fire is, allow the sandwich to cook a few minutes until until the bottom is golden and crispy. Carefully flip the sandwich and repeat until the other side is toasted and the cheese has melted.
3. Remove from heat and allow to sit for a few minutes so the cheese can thicken up and the flavors can meld. Slice in half and serve!