Parmesan cheese and butter make this a rich and flavorful polenta. An authentic Italian polenta is the best choice, but yellow stone-ground grits or a medium grind cornmeal may be substituted.
Use the sliced baked polenta as a base for vegetables or a meaty sauce.
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yellow polenta or grits
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Butter an 7 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- Stir together 1 cup cold water, salt, and cornmeal. Using the top of a double boiler, bring 3 cups of water to a boil over direct heat. Stir in the cornmeal mixture gradually. Cook for five minutes. Place over boiling water and cook for 4 minutes, stirring often. Pour into the prepared loaf pan and chill until firm.
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Remove from loaf pan and slice with a sharp knife. Place slices overlapping on a greased shallow baking dish.
- Pour the butter over the polenta and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Bake in the preheated oven, uncovered, for 20 minutes.