Banana pudding has long been a favorite Southern dessert, and this shortcut version is an excellent choice for a busy day.
This easy and convenient banana pudding is made with instant pudding, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla wafers, and sliced bananas. See the tips and variations for a toasted coconut version.
Make the pudding a day in advance for the very best flavor.
- 1 large package instant vanilla pudding (6 ounces)
- 2 1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces)
- 1 large container whipped topping (16 ounces)
- 3 bananas (sliced)
- 1 banana (for topping, optional)
- 30 vanilla wafer cookies
- Mix pudding and milk; add condensed milk. Blend well; fold in half of the whipped topping.
- Toss the 3 sliced bananas with 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.
- In a serving bowl or individual dessert dishes, alternate layers of pudding, banana slices, and vanilla wafers; top with the remaining whipped topping.
- For the best flavor, refrigerate overnight before serving.
- If desired, garnish the dessert with banana slices just before serving.
Tips and Variations
Toasted Coconut Banana Pudding - Put 3/4 cup of flaked sweetened coconut in a dry skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until the coconut is browned and aromatic. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the toasted coconut over the banana layer and save the remaining 1/4 cup for topping just before serving.