This spoonbread is easy to make with boiled cornmeal, milk, and eggs. The spoonbread is served from the baking dish with a spoon.
- 1 cup cornmeal (white)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (cold)
- 2 large eggs (well beaten)
1. In a large saucepan, combine cornmeal with 2 cups of water; add 1 teaspoon of salt.
2. Bring mixture to a boil then lower the heat; cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
3. The mixture will be very stiff. Remove from heat and slowly stir in 1 cup of cold milk.
4. Stir in the beaten eggs and melted butter.
5. Preheat oven to 400° and heat a greased 1 1/2 to 2-quart baking dish or 8-inch square baking dish.
6. Pour the well-blended batter into the hot baking dish; bake for about 40 minutes, or until firm in the middle and nicely browned.
7. Serve hot, straight from the baking dish. This quantity provides 4 to 6 small servings; for more, double the recipe.