Kibbeh is one of those foods that you crave, and the craving won't be satisfied until you eat it. There are many recipes for kibbeh, but this one is very easy and perfect for beginners.
What is Kibbeh?
A Middle Eastern dish, Kibbeh is made of bulghur cracked wheat, minced onions, and lean ground beef, lamb, goat or camel meat and topped off with spices, like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and clove.
What Shapes can Kibbeh Take?
- Kibbeh can be fried into football-shaped croquettes that are stuffed with cooked minced beef or lamb.
- Kibbeh can also be rolled into balls or patties, and either baked or cooked in broth.
- 2 lbs finely ground beef or lamb, lean, divided
- 1/2 lb. bulghur cracked wheat, medium or #2
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon pepper, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 medium onions, 1 finely chopped, and 1 coarsely chopped, divided
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- vegetable oil for frying
Combine well and place small amount in food processor until doughlike consistency. You can slowly add an ice cube at a time during processing if needed. Place mixture aside, covered. Instead of using a food processor, you can use a mortar and pestle, however it will take you over an hour to achieve desired consistency.
Prepare Kibbeh StuffingIn a medium frying pan, saute the finely chopped onion in olive oil. Add pine nuts if desired. Add ground lamb or beef and chop well with wooden spoon or spatula to ensure the meat is chopped. Add allspice, salt, pepper, and cumin. Once beef is light brown, remove from heat. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Assemble Kibbeh and FryTake an egg sized amount of shell mixture and form into a ball. With your finger, poke a hole in the ball, making a space for filling. Add filling and pinch the top to seal the ball. You can then shape it into a point, or football shape, or leave as a ball.
Fry in 350 degree oil on stove top or in deep fryer for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Makes 25 medium sized kibbeh.