This broccoli casserole is similar to a broccoli pudding. The combination of eggs, cheese, and sauce gives it a souffle-like texture. If you aren't a fan of the processed cheese food, Cheez Whiz, use the substitute below the recipe.
The recipe calls for buttered cracker crumbs, but fresh buttered bread crumbs would work as well. I used buttered stuffing crumbs on the casserole (pictured}.
- 2 packages frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained, 20 to 24 ounces total
- 4 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup Cheese Whiz (see substitution suggestions, below)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- When the butter is hot, add the chopped onion. Cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of flour to the butter and onion mixture. Cook while stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk to the roux and cook until slightly thickened.
- Stir in broccoli.
- Stir the Cheez Whiz into the broccoli mixture; taste and add salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed.
- Stir the beaten eggs into the broccoli mixture.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Toss the bread crumbs with the 2 tablespoons of melted butter; sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until bubbly and nicely browned.
Cheez Whiz Substitute
In a small saucepan, combine 4 ounces of Velveeta cheese or cheddar cheese, 1/3 cup evaporated milk, 1 tablespoon of butter, a dash of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard. Add a dash of cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce, if desired. Stir over low heat until the mixture has melted.
- Put the broccoli in a colander and place it under cool running water until thawed.
- Use soft bread crumbs or crushed stuffing crumbs to top the casserole.
- Add about 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar or a few tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese to the bread crumbs.
- Rub the cut side of half a garlic clove over the inside of the casserole dish, or add 1 finely minced clove of garlic to the butter along with the chopped onion.
- Make the casserole with half cauliflower and half broccoli.