This easy broccoli rice casserole recipe is made with cooked rice and broccoli, and mixed with a simple-to-prepare cheese and condensed soup sauce. Top it off with some buttered bread crumbs if you like.
Great for a weeknight family meal and very kid-friendly, this would also be an excellent dish to take along to a potluck.
- 2 packages frozen chopped broccoli (about 20 ounces total)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Cook the broccoli on the stovetop or in the microwave oven following the package directions.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Saute the diced onion, green peppers, and celery, stirring, until tender.
- In a bowl, combine the cooked rice with the sauteed vegetables, cooked drained broccoli, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, and the condensed soups. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and bubbly.
- Remove the foil, top with remaining 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and bake about 5 minutes longer, until top is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- To make breadcrumb topping: Toss 1 cup of fresh breadcrumbs with 2 tablespoons of butter. After the casserole has finished baking and the cheese has melted, remove the casserole from the oven and set it on broil. Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the breadcrumbs and place it under the broiler. Broil until the breadcrumbs are lightly browned.