Serve this nicely seasoned chicken and ham bake with potatoes or noodles and a salad or steamed veggies.
Smoky ham adds flavor to this chicken casserole. Thin slices of ham are topped with chicken breast halves and an easy sour cream sauce. Add a bread crumb topping for extra texture and flavor.
See some of the tips reader comments for more ingredient ideas and suggestions.
- 6 boneless chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper
- 6 thin slices cooked ham
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup of soft bread crumbs tossed with 2 tablespoons melted butter, optional
Lightly butter a 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Heat the oven to 350° F.
Sprinkle chicken breast halves with salt, pepper, and paprika.
Place ham slices in the prepared baking dish; top the ham slices with chicken breast halves. Combine butter, soup, sour cream and mushrooms; stir well.
Pour soup and sour cream mixture over chicken.
If desired, sprinkle with the optional buttered bread crumbs.
Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the ham with 8 to 12 strips of cooked bacon.
- Make-Ahead: Prepare the casserole without baking. Cover the casserole and refrigerate for up to 12 hours. Remove the casserole from the refrigerator about 20 minutes before baking. Bake as directed, allowing a little extra time if the casserole is still chilled.
- Saute 6 to 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms in some butter to replace the canned mushrooms.
- Add a topping of cheddar, Swiss, or Parmesan cheese just before the casserole is done. Continue baking to melt the cheese.
"This was a very easy recipe. And pretty enough for company. I sliced the chicken breasts in half thickness wise and pounded them a little flatter . Then rolled the ham and chicken up like a cordon bleu without the cheese, and used a toothpick to keep them together. The sauce was fabulous." — Veri
"I rarely cook yet was able to make this dish no problem. I have a freezer full of chicken breasts I didn't know what to do with, so did a google search and found this recipe. I brought it to a dinner party and it was the first dish to go! Everyone loved it. Thank you very much." — C.W.
You Might Also Like