Serve this nicely seasoned chicken and ham bake with potatoes or noodles and a salad or steamed veggies.
Smoky ham adds flavor to this chicken casserole. Thin slices of ham are topped with chicken breast halves and an easy sour cream sauce. Add a breadcrumb topping for extra texture and flavor.
See some of the tips reader comments for more ingredient ideas and suggestions.
- 6 boneless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper
- Paprika to taste
- 6 thin slices cooked ham
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup of soft breadcrumbs tossed with 2 tablespoons melted butter, optional
- Lightly butter a 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Heat the oven to 350° F.
- Sprinkle chicken breast halves with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Place ham slices in the prepared baking dish; top the ham slices with chicken breast halves. Combine butter, soup, sour cream and mushrooms; stir well.
- Pour soup and sour cream mixture over chicken.
- If desired, sprinkle with the optional buttered bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the ham with 8 to 12 strips of cooked bacon.
- Make-Ahead: Prepare the casserole without baking. Cover the casserole and refrigerate for up to 12 hours. Remove the casserole from the refrigerator about 20 minutes before baking. Bake as directed, allowing a little extra time if the casserole is still chilled.
- Saute 6 to 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms in some butter to replace the canned mushrooms.
- Add a topping of cheddar, Swiss, or Parmesan cheese just before the casserole is done. Continue baking to melt the cheese.