This top-rated chicken Parmesan recipe makes a delicious, satisfying family meal with spaghetti and a simple salad, and it's easy to prepare and bake. The chicken is breaded, browned, and then baked with spaghetti sauce along with Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
Flatten the chicken breasts to cook quickly and evenly, or slice them horizontally to make two thin cutlets for each chicken breast. Or, you could purchase thinly sliced chicken cutlets.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness*
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese, or more
- 1 jar (16 to 24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- fresh shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces spaghetti or linguine
- Heat the oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas 4). Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Whisk together the egg and milk in a bowl.
- Put the seasoned breadcrumbs in a wide, shallow bowl.
- Dip the chicken breasts in milk and egg mixture and then in breadcrumbs, turning to coat thoroughly.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Brown the chicken in the hot oil on both sides until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Arrange the chicken in the prepared baking dish.
- Slice 8 pieces of mozzarella cheese and put two on each chicken breast. Pour 1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce over all. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and a little more mozzarella and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti or linguine in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain well.
- Serve with spaghetti, garlic bread and a tossed green salad.
Recipe shared by Colleen Haass
*You can also buy the thin sliced chicken breasts/cutlets for this recipe. Or, slice the chicken breasts horizontally to make thin cutlets. If the chicken breasts are very large, you might only need 2 or 3 for a meal.