These popular no-bake cookies are made with oats and chocolate chips, along with optional peanut butter and other ingredients. The peanut butter adds flavor to the chocolate, but it may be omitted.
The cookies are quick and easy to prepare and cook in just a couple of minutes on the stovetop. These treats are perfect for that chocolate craving, and they're especially nice in the summer when you don't want to use the oven. And they're gluten-free! Use quick-cooking or old-fashioned rolled oats in the cookies.
This will become your go-to recipe for quick no-bake cookies, and do take a look at the many variations below the recipe, including a version made with cocoa instead of chocolate chips, one with coconut, and with chopped nuts or different cereals instead of oats.
The recipe is easily doubled for a party or large gathering.
- 3 cups quick oatmeal or rolled oats
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of peanut butter, optional
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk or regular milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar (or part brown sugar)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, chocolate chips, vanilla, and peanut butter, if using; stir to blend the ingredients. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the butter with the milk and granulated sugar. Place the pan over medium-high heat and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil the mixture for 1 full minute.
- Combine the hot butter and sugar mixture with the oatmeal and chocolate chip mixture. Stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is well blended.
- Working quickly, drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper or parchment paper.
- Makes about thirty 2-inch cookies or more if you make them smaller.
Variations and Substitutions
Carob No-Bake Cookies - Use carob flavored chips instead of the semisweet chocolate chips.
Made With Brown Sugar - Use light or dark brown sugar in place of all or part of the granulated sugar.
Made With Nuts - Add about 1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts to the oat mixture.
Made With Cocoa Instead of Chocolate Chips - Omit the chocolate chips and add 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa to the saucepan with the milk, butter, and sugar. Boil for 1 minute and then a dd to the bowl with the oats, vanilla, and peanut butter, if using.
Made With Cereal - Replace the oats with corn flakes, grape nuts, crispy rice cereal, or similar.
Chocolate Coconut No-Bake Cookies - Replace one cup of the oats with 1 cup of flaked coconut.
Made With Dried Fruit - Add 1 cup of raisins or chopped dried sweetened cranberries for an extra chewy texture.
Made With Crumbs - Add part graham cracker or cookie crumbs to the oat mixture for different textures and flavors.