This is an easy no-bake chocolate candy treat, made with unsweetened cocoa powder and coconut, along with sweetened condensed milk and confectioners' sugar. I rolled the thoroughly chilled candy balls in more sifted confectioners' sugar (pictured), but you could also roll them in finely chopped nuts, cocoa powder, fine cookie crumbs, or finely grated coconut or toasted coconut.
I used my stand mixer to combine the stiff, heavy candy mixture. One of the many comments and suggestions mentioned using the dough hook attachment of a hand-held mixer.
One visitor said she replaced the coconut with chopped dried cherries and another visitor said she added 1 cup of chocolate chips. See the tips and variations for more add-in ideas and substitutions.
- 1 pound (approximately 3 1/2 cups unsifted) confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (3 1/2 ounces) flaked coconut, about 1 1/3 cups
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
In a large mixing bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa; stir in the sweetened condensed milk and the vanilla, mixing thoroughly. The mixture will be quite stiff. Stir or knead in coconut and nuts, if using. A heavy-duty mixer with paddle attachment makes mixing much easier, or use the dough hook attachment on a hand-held mixer.
Chill the chocolate mixture for about 15 to 20 minutes, then shape into 1-inch balls. I didn't find the mixture sticky, but you could butter your hands if necessary.
Arrange the candy balls on a baking sheet lined with wax paper or parchment paper. Cover the candy and chill the cocoa balls for at least 2 hours, or until they are quite firm.
Store in tightly covered containers separated with sheets of wax paper.
Makes about 5 dozen 1-inch balls.
Tips and Variations
- Use toasted chopped pecans and coconut in the mixture. Toast pecan halves in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring constantlly, until lightly browned and aromatic. Repeat with the flaked coconut, if desired.
- Use a small cookie scoop to help make the candy uniform in size, and then use your hands to shape them into smooth balls.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup of chopped dried cherries or cranberries to the mixture.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup of raisins to the candy.
- Roll the chilled shaped candy in finely chopped nuts, cocoa powder, confectioners' sugar, or finely grated coconut.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup of toffee chips to the chocolate mixture.
- Add chopped white chocolate to the chocolate mixture.
- Replace half of the vanilla extract with rum flavoring.
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of bourbon to the chocolate mixture.
You Might Also Like