This corn and shrimp soup is a flavorful combination of fresh shrimp, tomatoes, and corn. It's a fabulous dairy-free alternative to heavier seafood soups. Canned corn and cream-style corn make the soup an easy preparation.
The soup starts with a simple roux and uses fresh shrimp. If you use frozen shrimp, thaw them in the refrigerator just before adding them to the soup. Ro-Tel tomatoes add heat, but you may add minced fresh or canned jalapeno peppers or mild green chile peppers along with plain diced tomatoes instead. Thanks to Dottie for sharing her recipe for this corn and shrimp soup.
"This is a great soup.It's easy to put together and it re-heats very well. Good stuff." — C.Steiger
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained and mashed (or two 14.5 ounce cans)
- 1/2 can Ro-Tel tomatoes (tomatoes with green chile peppers)
- 2 cans (approximately 15 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 2 cans (12 to 15 ounces each) whole kernel corn
- 1 quart chicken broth, low sodium or unsalted
- 2 pounds shrimp, preferably fresh, peeled, deveined
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan or stockpot over medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, until the roux is a light blonde color.
- Mix oil and flour in a large saucepan or stockpot. Stir over medium-low heat until the roux is light blonde in color. Don't let it get too dark.
- Add chopped onions and garlic and cook until onions are softened.
- Add the stewed tomatoes, Ro-Tel tomatoes, cream-style and whole kernel corn, and broth; cook over low heat at a simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and continue to simmer for about 10 more minutes.
- Season the soup with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Tips and Variations
- Use about 4 cups of fresh or frozen corn kernels and omit the canned corn and cream-style corn.
- Add 1 large russet potato, cut into small cubes.
- Add 1/2 cup of diced red bell pepper along with the onion.
- Add 1/2 cup of thinly sliced celery along with the onion.
- Omit the Ro-Tel tomatoes. Add a tablespoon or two minced hot or mild green chile peppers if heat is desired.
- Stir 1 or 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley or cilantro into the soup along with the shrimp.
You Might Also Like